About Me & My Site
You can call me ETTiNGRiNDER, or EG for short. This site is a place to share my interests, primarily in video games, though I may include other items if I'm so inclined. I generally gravitate most to fantasy, swords & sorcery type of themes, often with a darker bent, (my second most preferred theme would probably be horror, as a theme rather than a gameplay style, think Castlevania or Doom for instance, followed by sci-fi and historical, less so modern/real world.) As gameplay genres go I generally prefer action, strategy, and certain types of RPG (tactical/gameplay-oriented end of the spectrum e.g. roguelikes, dungeon crawlers, Diablo-alikes).
Ever since the early years I would daydream about making my own games, and draw up elaborate plans for them, most of which I didn't even remotely have the skills to make into a reality at the time. Tinkering around with various forms of BASIC (from the Commodore 64 built-in up to QBASIC and Visual Basic) I made various small prototypes in my early years although they've all long since been lost. I still have a particular fascination with games that offer the opportunity to create my own adventures or layouts, though often as not I do more idle tinkering than released projects (although that's changing bit by bit, when I don't bite off more than I can chew, and can keep my perfectionist streak under control, at least.) I'm somewhat of a jack-of-all-trades, dabbling in level design, graphics, programming, and occasionally music & sound, though a master of none of these. In recent years I've also begun to build a modest collection of vintage gaming hardware and the accompanying games; computing and gaming of the old millenium, especially prior to the age of 3D-acceleration.
One more thing! It's ETTiNGRiNDER, with all caps except for the "i"s. ETTiN GRiNDER with a space is also acceptable. Ettingrinder, EttinGrinder, etc. are wrong.
Where to in 2017?
In spite of a slow start I'm still confident that '17 is going to be a good year for me. Here are a few things I have brewing:
- I'm continuing research into Witchaven and Witchaven II, including figuring out the finer points of the save game and configuration formats. Although progress on EGwhaven has been slow while I do such things, it will ultimately benefit from this.
- I am also continuing my Hexen WAD project, despite temporary setbacks.
- I've been acquiring and studying more books on programming, particularly DOS-era programming books, so I will be better equipped for working on EGwhaven as well as on other utilities, mods and homebrew projects.
- I've been expanding my vintage system and game collection and will be branching out my programming endeavors to the Atari 8-bit computer and possibly other systems.
- I'm also continuing my odyssey through the world of shovelware discs, and have some ideas for more in-depth coverage of their contents.
Sites where I might be found
Sites where my handle differs from my usual one:
REWiki: Eye of Antares (defunct)
Sites where my handle is ETTiNGRiNDER:
GitHub.com (rarely checked)
ArokhsLair.net (rarely checked)
Dosgames.com (rarely checked)
QuakeOne.com (rarely checked)
Duke4.net (rarely checked)
DailyMotion.com (rarely checked)
GameRanger.com (rarely checked)
ROMhacking.net (rarely checked)
Zandronum.com (rarely checked)
Desura.com (rarely checked)
VOGONS.org (rarely checked)