What systems do I have at the time of this update (October 2018)?
- Commodore VIC-20
- Atari 600XL
- Nintendo Entertainment System
- Sega Genesis
- Nintendo Game Boy (Original B&W edition)
- Nintendo 64
- Various PCs, Windows 9x and XP eras
I intend to include more things relevant to some of these on the site at... some point...
My games collection is primarily focused on PC: late DOS and Windows 9x era CD-ROM games primarily, some XP era CD/DVD games, and a few more recent indie titles/digital (re)releases primarily via GOG. For other systems on the list I generally only have a few titles for each.
DOS Game Compatibility Notes
These are just some quick notes I have made over time based on running DOS games natively on older (not necessarily DOS-era) systems.
The following games use EGA overscan border coloring, which is not emulated in DOSBox:
- Crystal Caves (color used to indicate whether or not all crystals on a level were collected)
- Catacomb 3D Adventures trilogy (border flashes to indicate damage, Apocalypse uses a white flash as a secret hint)
- Commander Keen (purely cosmetic? Episode 1 flashes the border when a Vorticon is killed)
The following games could be made to run natively on an Intel chip (Pentium III) but have issues on an AMD-based system (K6-2):
- Demon Stalkers (locks up at title screen)
- Iron Blood (game silently terminates when attempting to run)
- Bio Menace (very strange behavior; works under true DOS 6.22 kernel but when run under Windows 9x, even using DOS prompt only, will lock up during play - on Pentium both were fine)
Vintage PC Software
This section has some recommendations for working with old DOS/Windows versions. All of this software can be freely downloaded unless otherwise noted, and contained no adware/bundleware in the versions I checked (page may be outdated so have a care with what you download from external sites - some links may need to be fixed once I can re-locate downloads for these files).
Software for vintage PCs: Windows 9x (tested primarily with 98SE)
- This USB Mass Storage Device driver will help get you past the need to transfer things by floppy once you've got it installed. It might not work with every drive; a Cruzer Blade seems to work well with my machine. Another option is to burn a CD-ROM of drivers and utilities, but it's nice to be able to test programs before committing them to a CD burn.
For software version, I note the latest version I have tested to work, while for Windows version I note the earliest version I have tested to work. As of the current writing, I have not tested any Windows version other than 98SE.
Most DOS programs, listed further down the page, will also work on a Windows 9x system unless otherwise noted.
|Software||Software Version||Windows Version||Description||Link|
|7-Zip||9.20||98SE||Excellent compression/decompression software for .7Z, .ZIP and other archive formats||Homepage|
|HashCalc||2.02||98SE||Calculate file checksums, offers a wide variety of methods||SlavaSoft Homepage|
|HJ-Split||3.0||98SE||Split/join files (e.g. for floppy disk storage/transfer), also calculates MD5 checksums||Homepage|
|ICY Hexplorer||2.6||98SE||Hex editor, many useful features||Sourceforge page|
|NoteTab Light||7.2||98SE||Notepad replacement that allows loading multiple files in tabs and other useful features.||Homepage|
|Metapad||3.6||98SE||Notepad replacement, light & no-nonsense, can load big files||Homepage|
|GrafX2||2.4.2035||98SE||Paint program with lots of nice features, DeluxePaint-ish||Homepage|
|Wally||1.55b||98SE||Paint program specialized for Quake textures||Quake Terminus|
|PakExplorer||1.2||98SE||Browse, extract, and compile Quake .PAK files||Quake Terminus|
|AdQuedit||1.3||98SE||Works with various Quake formats, insert/extract graphics etc.||Quake Terminus|
|IrfanView||4.44||98SE||Image viewer that supports many formats||Homepage|
|EasyCleaner||22.214.171.1240||98SE||A handy multi-purpose utility for cleaning out junk files, registry cruft, and duplicates. Can also chart disk space usage.||Homepage|
|Lunar IPS||1.02||98SE||Create and apply IPS patches for files||FuSoYa's Niche|
|ZipInstaller||1.21||98SE||Provides install/uninstall functionality for ZIP-based software distributions.||Homepage|
Software for vintage PCs: DOS
|NE||3.00b||Text editor made to resemble Borland IDE||Download mirrors|
|HexIt||1.57||Powerful hex editor.||Homepage|
|uHex||1.0.3||Hex Editor, not many features but lightweight. Unless you need a very low-spec program HexIt's probably better.||Sourceforge Page|
|Funky Chicken Utilities FileCRC||1.00||Calculate CRC32 of files.||Download mirrors|
|VGAPaint 386||1.4||Deluxe Paint style graphics program||Homepage|
|PaintPro (Cryogen)||1997||Design ANSI text-screen graphics||Download mirrors|