Thanks to former Capstone employee Les Bird, the source code to Witchaven & Witchaven II has been made available to fans, making it possible for new bugfixes and enhancements to be done. EGwhaven is my own attempt at doing so with the Witchaven II source. Thanks to help from Adam Biser I have been able to begin work on patching up the source to the original Witchaven as well. At this point, EGwhaven should be fairly stable and by default mostly vanilla-correct in places where it is feasible to do so, but be aware that there are a few hardcoded behavior changes and there is always the possibility of lingering bugs or new ones that were inadvertently added.
NB: This project is currently on ice. I have not abandoned it, but for the time being no development is taking place as I focus on other things. Several known bugs remain unsolved so use this modification at your own risk. It is highly recommended that you set your music card to "Sound Blaster" if using DOSBox as other options are more error prone. Please continue sending bug reports to my e-mail to be investigated in the future.
Notes and caveats: this project may be a "port" in the "Doom port" sense that's sometimes used to mean an altered rebuild of the source code, but it is not a "port" in the true sense of being ported to another system; it's currently still a DOS program to be run under DOSBox (or perhaps on a DOS machine, if you have one.) Native porting to other systems might happen someday, but don't hold your breath. If you want a port running under Windows you may want to check out BuildGDX which currently has some support for the original Witchaven (Witchaven II support planned but not currently implemented).
- Many fixes to bugs and oversights in the vanilla release.
- A GAME parameter, inspired by Quake, that allows you to place your custom data in a subfolder for loading as a mod. This includes .MAP files, STUFF.DAT and most other data files (a few have issues). Separate save game sets are kept for each GAME folder.
- A WARP parameter to instantly start the game on the desired level number.
- RULES.CFG which allows certain fixes to be enabled/disabled per GAME and also allows a few other game behaviors to be tweaked.
- MAPNAMES.CFG which allows the map titles in Witchaven II's intermission screen to be adjusted for custom GAMEs.
This is not a GPL or Open Source project as the unofficial status of Les Bird's source release does not allow for this, but if you want to adjust it or use it for something yourself, go ahead as far as I am concerned.
A discussion board for EGwhaven and Witchaven in general can be found on the RTCM forum.
You may also be interested in my map data patches for Witchaven, available in the Witchaven patches and tools section.
Bugs can be reported to my E-Mail. Please ensure that you have set the game's sound settings correctly before reporting crashes. I am not taking feature requests at this time.
EGwhaven v1.3b binaries
Get this if you just want something ready for play.
EGwhaven v1.3b source
Get this if you want to tinker with the source code.
For historic archival. You probably don't want these.