Thanks to former Capstone employee Les Bird, the source code to Witchaven & Witchaven II has been made available to fans, making it possible for new bugfixes and enhancements to be done. EGwhaven is my own attempt at doing so with the Witchaven II source. Thanks to help from Adam Biser I have been able to begin work on patching up the source to the original Witchaven as well. At this point, EGwhaven should be fairly stable and by default mostly vanilla-correct in places where it is feasible to do so, but be aware that there are a few hardcoded behavior changes and there is always the possibility of lingering bugs or new ones that were inadvertently added.
- Many fixes to bugs and oversights in the vanilla release.
- A GAME parameter, inspired by Quake, that allows you to place your custom data in a subfolder for loading as a mod. This includes .MAP files, STUFF.DAT and most other data files (a few have issues). Separate save game sets are kept for each GAME folder.
- A WARP parameter to instantly start the game on the desired level number.
- RULES.CFG which allows certain fixes to be enabled/disabled per GAME and also allows a few other game behaviors to be tweaked.
- MAPNAMES.CFG which allows the map titles in Witchaven II's intermission screen to be adjusted for custom GAMEs.
Notes and caveats: this project may be a "port" in the "Doom port" sense that's sometimes used to mean an altered rebuild of the source code, but it is not a "port" in the true sense of being ported to another system; it's currently still a DOS program to be run under DOSBox (or perhaps on a DOS machine, if you have one.) Maybe when it's patched up to my liking I'll see about real porting.
This is not a GPL or Open Source project as the unofficial status of Les Bird's source release does not allow for this, but if you want to adjust it or use it for something yourself, go ahead as far as I am concerned.
A discussion board for EGwhaven and Witchaven in general can be found on the RTCM forum.
You may also be interested in my map data patches for Witchaven, available in the Witchaven patches and tools section.
Bugs can be reported to my E-Mail. Please ensure that you have set the game's sound settings correctly before reporting crashes.
EGwhaven v1.3b binaries
Get this if you just want something ready for play.
EGwhaven v1.3b source
Get this if you want to tinker with the source code.
For historic archival. You probably don't want these.